Friday, January 16, 2015

How To (not) Wash Your Hair

Happy Friday everyone!
In an effort to help everyone have an effortless weekend ahead, I'm going to share my most recent method of (not) washing my hair.

For those of you with short, styled 'dos, I totally understand the need to wash and style your hair daily. But for the folks out there like me, who have a mass of long hair, it is not only extremely inconvenient, but also damaging, to wash your hair daily.

Now, that's not to say that sometimes I don't wash my hair a few days in a row. Sometimes a combination of workout schedules and life events just do not allow for it! And that's just that. But on the days when I can wake up and refresh my hair- without taking the time to wash and dry- you bet I am on board.

I have posted several times about my quest to find the perfect dry shampoo. And, in case you are wondering, I still would highly recommend Batiste Dry Shampoo ($12), or for a lower price option, TreSemme Dry Shampoo ($4) works exceptionally well.

But, apparently I am never satisfied, because here is what happened. For a couple months now, every time I have visited my Beauty First location, they have been out of Batiste. So for awhile I was using the TreSemme Dry shampoo. And it serves its purpose. But I can't help but notice how it makes my  hair a little stiff and heavy- and just generally unmanageable. If I am not going to wash my hair, then I don't want it to look weighed down with product by the end of the day, either.

In an effort to save a little money, and not have to leave my apartment, I brushed in a little cornstarch to my roots with an old kabuki brush.








This is not a completely new concept to me, but last time I did it I was unimpressed with the result. So last week I found an article that talked about using cornstarch. Apparently I missed a key step-  the best way to apply is:

1) Sprinkle or brush cornstarch into roots (roots only!)
2) Let the cornstarch absorb any excess oil for a few minutes (previously missed this step!)
3) Massage into hair
4)Brush through hair until cornstarch is not visible.

And... ta da! My hair looks newly washed and there is no heavy residue. The only downside I can come up with is that you aren't getting a fresh, clean smell. However, I have no problem with a few sprays of body spray in the hair to take care of that problem. So, there.... not a problem anymore!

I would highly recommend this process as opposed to purchasing a dry shampoo. It can get expensive when you are buying a new bottle constantly. And cornstarch is typically less than a dollar. And it lasts forever.

For my brunette readers, doing half cornstarch, half cocoa powder will take care of that annoying white residue (and smells yummy!). I have heard that for red locks, cinnamon blends nicely as well.



Side note: I know a lot of people use baby powder, which is essentially the same concept. I, too, have used this method over the years. For me, the baby powder creates a ton of static that I cannot handle. I have no idea why,  but it's just not a great option for me!

Have a great weekend...not washing your hair!

No comments:

Post a Comment