Tuesday, August 23, 2016

how to have a {cost effective} iced coffee addiction



I used to say I had a coffee 1-2 times a week. And I did. And then last Winter rolled around and I couldn't hardly stand to drive to work without a warm coffee in hand. And then Summer. I love a good iced coffee. So, before I knew it, I was an everyday coffee kind of person. It's refreshing and tasty and just the kick I need to get my day going! 

It's also insanely expensive. 

I didn't want to do the math. I couldn't bring myself to. We've all heard it!  On average you are paying about $4 for a coffee. At the most, I would buy up to four times a week. So… $16 a week. That's $832 a year. WHAT! I cannot justify that. I simply cannot. When I finally came to terms with this massive (unnecessary) expenditure, I decided to do something about it. 

I tossed around the idea of buying a toddy maker. Of course we have a regular coffee pot, but hot coffee doesn't do it for me in the Summer. And anyone who loves iced coffee knows that adding ice to regular coffee just does not compare. Way back when, a reader recommended trying Grady's Cold Brew. I tracked it down at my local World Market and brought it home to try. And (with the exception of my occasional coffee purchase) I've been going strong… and saving lots of money in the process!

Step 1: Buy Grady's Cold Brew
The only place I am aware of that I can buy locally from is World Market. It is $9.99 and has 4 bags in it. Each bag makes 3 suggested servings. I'm not telling you what to do, but I can get more than 3 servings out of each bag. But either way, that's 12 cups of coffee for $9.99. High five to savings!


Step 2: Prepare coffee. 
The bags are basically like giant bags of tea. Slowly pull the center bag out the first time. I didn't follow the directions and of course ripped the bag. Thats not good. Put the bag in a pitcher with the directed amount of cold water. I like to use my giant glass measuring cup because I just leave it in there!


Step 3: Brew coffee. 
Let the coffee brew in the fridge for 12 hours. I always throw a bag in the pitcher when I run out in the evening and in the AM… ready to go!


Step 4: Pull bag out of coffee. 
Leave the coffee in the pitcher or transfer it to something you would like to store it in in the fridge. I can get a pitcher to last me almost a week!


Step 5: Prepare a glass of iced coffee. 
This step is modifiable to your personal preference. I know some people drink straight cold brew and I am like… no thanks. My favorite combo is mixing 3/4 cup concentrated brew with 1/4 cup milk of your choice. I then add a splash of cream and french vanilla coffee syrup. Sometimes I add ice, sometimes I don't. It's really not necessary considering it's already ice cold.




I know you can cold brew regular coffee overnight, and I have, but I personally think it is such a hassle to strain it and all of that business! With Grady's, you throw the bag in and it's done for the week (or longer). Plus, it tastes seriously delicious. 

How easy is that?! It is ready to go in the morning AND you are saving so much money!
If you REALLY want to get ahead of the game, you could prepare the night before (without ice) and sit a glass in the fridge to grab on your way out the door. 

Yum. My mouth is actually watering just thinking about it. 
Save yourself a dollar and try your own version of iced coffee at home!

Does anyone else have any great ideas to cut back on coffee costs? Please do tell! 



















12 comments:

  1. YES!!!! Since becoming a stay at home mom and a single income family this is the number one thing I cut back on. I figured I was spending around $750 a year on coffee! I would rather use that money on an awesome vacation! So I make all of my coffee at home. I basically just do coffee and creamer but am totally looking for ways to mix it up. Thanks for the post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Doesn't that total make you cringe a little!? It's definitely saved me money by having cold brew on hand! Thanks for stopping by :)

      Delete
  2. Yes yes yes! Making it at home saves SO much money!

    ReplyDelete
  3. EVERYTHING is 25% off today at gradyscoldbrew.com!!! I don't ever stop at scooters anymore, unless I want oatmeal for breakfast haha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ahhh!! You have the best info :) Thanks! The only time I will drive through now is for local coffee shops.. .I like supporting those :)

      Delete
  4. This looks good! I always make my own coffee, Starbucks is so expensive!

    Alix | www.apintsizedlife.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, it's insane! Grady's is super tasty.

      Delete
  5. ah! so much yum - I love coffee & tea and my husband just started making us iced coffees - he bought a french press from target and never looked back!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is such a clever idea and what a savings! Love it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Michelle! I am loving it so far and it has saved me a lot of $$.

      Delete