Tuesday, December 18, 2012

It's Dreamy...


I have to preface this post with a little story. In high school, a couple of my girl friends and I happened upon a Neutrogena lip gloss in a shade called “Dreamy.” We all had a tube, and it was THE PERFECT SHADE. For everyone. It was not too pink, not too dark, not too red… you get the idea. It was the perfect shade for almost any occasion as well. This was well known among friends. If anyone got out their tube of Dreamy, it was inevitably passed around. (Sanitary? Probably not.)

Well, here is where the story gets slightly embarrassing for me. At some point, I am not sure exactly when, Neutrogena discontinued Dreamy. Luckily, I had a tube that was fairly full. But, consequently, I began hoarding it. I couldn’t imagine parting with this color. I only used it on occasions that I deemed “special.”  I never took it out of the house due to my uncanny ability to misplace a tube of lip gloss (no risks being taken over here!)

And so, the search began. I would scour the glosses at Target, Walgreens and Wal-Mart hoping to find that (fingers crossed) Dreamy was reinstated… or even a shade that was similar. Multiple tubes were purchased and didn’t make the cut. I felt like I would never find my “Dreamy” again.

I wish this story had a fairy tale ending, but the fact is that it simply does not. At my all time low point, I emailed Neutrogena requesting that they bring Dreamy back. I received a standardized response and as far as I know, no one at Neutrogena took my request seriously.

So… I am presenting to you a few products that are COMPARABLE to Dreamy:  

Cover Girl Nature Lux Lip Balm in “Grenache
This is a drugstore lip-gloss that is moisturizing and has a great, neutral shade. And, because it is around $7, you may as well buy it in several different shades!

NARS Lip gloss in “Dolce Vita ”
I have to say, I never thought I would spend $30 on a tube of lip-gloss. It seemed wasteful. And, as previously noted, there was a good chance I could lose it within a week. Never the less, when I sampled this fancy gloss at Sephora, I had no choice. I loved the naturalness of the shade, yet it really amplified my normal lip color. And, after experimenting with it, I found that this lip-gloss REALLY sticks! It stays on for hours, which I think is really an incredible feat. So, worth $30? I can’t say that I would go that far. But I really do love this shade! So if you feel like splurging….


Clinique Lipstick in “Tenderheart
I actually received this lipstick in the complimentary makeup bag that Clinique gives out with their purchases. I will say, I am not a lipstick wearer, but something about the light texture made me reconsider. This shade is a little more “brown” then I would normally wear, but again, such a neutral amplifier, which is what I am always searching for.



Long story short, Dreamy is out of my life. I am starting to come to terms with the fact that it will probably not make an appearance.  Don’t worry; I’ll let you know if I find it. Obviously. And if anyone with any connections to Neutrogena is reading…call me.


No comments:

Post a Comment