Thursday, May 26, 2016

Old Fashioned Niceties

image via
A few months ago I read an article in my Real Simple magazine about "old fashioned niceties." I loved the article, and consider myself to be somewhat old fashioned. For example, I love cards. And letters. And sending mail. And writing thank you notes. And having people over for dinner. And taking baked goods to our neighbors.

I think life is made up of the little things that we do for others. For me, receiving a letter or card from someone I love is invaluable. I am extremely sentimental (bordering into hoarder...) and so I have had to draw the line about things that I save these days. Anything from my husband is an automatic save. Other than that, I try not to hold on to every.single.card I get in the mail. It's a work in progress...

Anyways, when I read this article, I remembered that my Grandma had a guestbook at their house. Yes, as in for guests who came through their doors. Does anyone do this anymore? I remember I LOVED to read through the book and see who had been there. Some of the pages were even faded and discolored. Regardless of whether I knew the people, there was something very charming about the memories.

Since getting married, we have tried to make it a priority to entertain as much as possible. I love when people stop by, and our favorite is to have a few people over for dinner. For me, it's the perfect time to try new (and old favorite) recipes... and bake. For my husband, it's a great time to mix up cocktails and grill up something amazing (and it's always amazing!)

Considering these things, it took me all of 5 seconds to get on Amazon and find a guestbook for our home. My only regret is that I can't go back and have our first 6 months of guests sign it. :)

If  you are looking to add some sentimental charm to your home, order a guestbook! Or add it to the list of unique presents you could give. Weddings, housewarmings.... yes!

So... do you have a guestbook in your home? Let me know in the comments!

xoxox


| Don't want to miss a post? No problem! Subscribe on the right hand side of the page.
| Follow along on Instagram: @sweetandmodern


7 comments:

  1. I enjoy taking the time to do these thoughtful things as well. It makes people feel SO good! We took a year one time and set a goal of entertaining people outside our usual circle in our home each month. Co-workers, a couple from church, that kind of thing. I kept a journal of who we had each month and what the evening was like. Still some of the best stories that we share all the time. I highly recommend expanding your entertaining invite list!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Traci, I LOVE this idea! Thanks for sharing and stopping by :)

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That guestbook is super cute and I think this is a really great idea! I also love that you are carrying on a tradition from your Grandma.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!! I hope some day it provides LOTS of memories :)

      Delete
  4. What a neat idea!! I've never seen someone have a guestbook in their home, but it makes sense!! Love that you're going to carry on that tradition!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sara! I seriously recommend it, it's like looking back and reading things people wrote in your yearbook :)

      Delete