Tuesday, December 22, 2015

(the perfect) Sugar Cookie

It's the Countdown to Christmas! And it's not Christmas without sugar cookies! Today I am sharing my absolute favorite sugar cookie recipe. This is a family recipe (of Clay's grandma!) that was passed on to me and it is THE PERFECT sugar cookie if I do say so myself.

 
1 cup butter (2 sticks, softened)
1 1/2 cup powdered sugar
1 egg
1 tsp vanilla (or more! I like more!)
2 1/2 cup flour
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp cream of tarter
1/4 tsp salt
 
Cream the butter ( I like to throw it in the kitchen aid and turn it on high and walk away for a few minutes!) Then add powdered sugar (slowly!! I stress this as it tends to fly everywhere), egg, vanilla. Sift the flour, baking soda, salt and cream of tarter in a separate bowl. Add dry ingredients to wet ingredients. Refrigerate overnight.
 
Place on floured surface (I always sprinkle flour on the dough as I am rolling it out as well)
Roll out (depending on how thick you like the cookies). Cut out the cookies. If you don't have a cookie cutter, the top of a glass works great!
 
Place on cookie sheet and bake at 350 for 6-8 minutes. Depending on your oven... I like to bake 6 minutes and then as soon as the cookies start to become golden on the edges, I remove from oven and let them bake on the pan for a few minutes before moving them to a cooling rack. This gives you the SOFTEST sugar cookies in the world!
 
 

After the cookies are cooled- frost away!

I have a few different recipes for frosting but any buttercream recipe will work. My favorite is to just pour powdered sugar into a bowl, add heavy whipping cream until I get to the desired consistency, and then a splash of vanilla. SO easy!

Head over to Katie Elizabeth to check out other fun holiday traditions!

Merry Christmas (& enjoy)!

5 comments:

  1. These are my FAVORITE kind of cookie... but I've never tried to make them!! I'll definitely have to try out your recipe!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is a great and easy recipe for your first try! :) I hope you love them!

      Delete
  2. I have never tried the sugar cookies with Cream of Tarter -- I may have to give this one a shot, they look wonderful! Thanks so much for linking up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! I had not either... also.. I frequently do not have cream of tarter on hand so I have substituted with vinegar before if I didn't want to run out to the store. Seems to work as well! (if you google it, it tells you how to substitute with vinegar using the baking soda ratio)
      Hope they turn out well for you!
      Gina

      Delete