Wednesday, December 9, 2015

The Dry Shampoo Chronicles + a new (living proof) review


I love dry shampoo. I think it was one of the best inventions in the world. I feel driven to keep trying new products, though I have to say, I have tried a lot.

Instead of linking you back to the few reviews I have done, I will do a quick run down/mini review if you will.

Batiste Dry Shampoo: #1 in my heart and wallet. Reasonably priced, smells fresh and clean... and most importantly, works like a dream. Bonus: they have different kinds for different hair colors.

TreSemme "Fresh Start" Dry Shampoo (minus keratin): Great for drugstore options. I can't get any further than day 2 without it weighing my hair down. But... smells great and serves it's purpose for the price.

Moroccanoil Dry Shampoo: Decent product, very pricey. Smells delicious. However... I thought my hair looked more  "shiny" (read: greasy) at the end of the day.

Kenra Platinum Dry Shampoo: Eh. I always think Kenra smells yummy and I adore some of their other products ( blow out spray!) but this did not meet the mark. Too expensive and too sticky.

Sexy Hair Volumizing Shampoo: Sort of expensive. Felt more like I was spraying a lot of hairspray in my hair. I hated that I didn't have the movement that I get with others. 

It's a 10 Dry Shampoo: I desperately wanted to like this one. Like I always do. But it made my hair greasy. Literally EXTRA greasy. So essentially it did the exact opposite of what it was supposed to do. It does smell good though.

Amika Perk Up Dry Shampoo: This stuff is a little more pricey than some... and claims a few new things such as the only dry shampoo on the market with no talc or aluminum. And yes.. it is a good shampoo. And it has a unique and lovely scent. But it's not amazing. And it's not that cheap.

So here we are. I tell myself to be satisfied with what I am using. There is no need to try a better, new product. Right..? But.. what if...?

Living Proof seems to be everywhere lately, and I have not used any of their products. I spent a strange amount of time reading the reviews for their dry shampoo "Perfect Hair Day," and could not get over the rave reviews.

Does anyone else love reading reviews? I keep hitting page after page..after page. A few comments that seemed to repeat and stand out involved "hair feeling extra clean" and the "amazing scent!" After the 10th page of reviews, I knew I would be trying it.

So I held out until 20% off Tuesday (Beauty First gold card member reference for all of you non Nebraska and/or Kansas and New Mexico folk ) and went ahead with the purchase.

And I have to say... I have never felt so let down by a purchase. I can typically find the good in a product. Either it smells great, or it makes my hair soft.. or.. something. But not with this stuff. For starters, my hair did not look any less greasy or more refreshed after I used it. And, ladies... I know how to use dry shampoo. I did the whole spray on problem areas, leave sitting, massage in with fingers, brush through... the whole shebang. When I realized five minutes later that my hair looked exactly the same... I thought I had to be missing something. I sprayed in more and repeated. It looked only slightly better.

And can we quickly discuss the smell? I am NOT a fan! It almost made me nauseous- it reminded me of actual cleaning supplies.

I don't like to give up though, so I worked out that night, brushed through my hair, slept on it- and repeated again this morning (day 3). At this point, my hair looks chalky (even after a brush through), feels stiff and dry, and is super static-y. And I think it goes without saying that I don't think my hair is smelling very good.

I am honestly upset that I bought a whole bottle of this and will probably keep using it until it's gone. I hate wasting!
I wish I could say that I am just going to go buy a bottle of my tried and true Batiste, but I have a few things on my radar.

1. Dry Bar Detox dry shampoo: I want to try this one badly... mostly because I am obsessed with the scent of their products.

2. Bumble & Bumble Pret a Powder shampoo: Also a fan of this line.

Does anyone have any insight into these? Any new favorites I must try? Because.. I will.

Until next time!

XOXO



No comments:

Post a Comment